Facilitated by experienced spiritual caregivers
Spiritual Caregivers are constantly called on to provide a caring presence with persons in all kinds of life events. In facing the stress of everyday ministry, it is helpful from time to time to review our reasons for serving others, and revisit what it means to provide a consistence caring presence. This seminar will enable new spiritual caregivers move deeper in their ministry to others. Furthermore, the more seasoned pastoral caregiver might use the collaborative learning experience as a way to deepen their understanding and skills.
- Understand and practice foundational skills for providing a caring presence
- Reflect on the theological / spiritual / theoretical perspectives of providing care for others
- Recognize the importance of offering a caring presence
- Provide enhanced listening skills for listening in deeper ways, from different perspectives
- Shift the focus of caring from doing to being
- Learn to hear the “language of tears”
A Primer in Pastoral Care, Jeanne Stevenson-Moessner
Listening and Caring Skills in Ministry, John Savage
- Select videos
All of the posting of reflections, questions, and interaction with other participants will happen in the “Forum” (chat room) for this seminar.
- Personal Introductions
- Sample Discussion Forum exercise: Reflection question from Primer intro on experiences of effective spiritual care – share a brief summary of a time you received pastoral / spiritual care and what that was like (effective or ineffective) – share a time when you offered spiritual / pastoral care
- Primer, Introduction, Chapter 1
- Listening and Caring, Chapter 1, “I think I know what you mean”
- Do exercises at the end of the chapter. Watch a demo of how this is done.
- Video 1 – You Tube clip – Sheldon on how not to do active listening – funny
- Share your reflections about the readings, the exercises and responses to at least two other participants’ posts in the “Forum”.
- Premier, Chapter 2 – 3
- Listening and Caring, Chapter 2 & Chapter 8
- Do exercises at the end of the chapter.
- Video 2 – YouTube clip – reflective responses in Active Listening
- Share your reflections on the readings, the exercises and responses to at least two other participants’ posts in the “Forum”.
- Primer, Chapters 5, 6, 7
- Listening and Caring, Chapter 3
- Answer questions at the end of the chapters
- Watch Video 3 of the demo of full active listening with Rick and Karen
- Daniel Bagby, audio, “Language of Tears”
- Share your reflections to the readings, the questions, the videos, and responses to at least two other participants’ posts in the “Forum”.